Back in 2020 Crew Shackleton made the decision to change our name. As a crew we felt the name Skackleton didn’t represent us and our values anymore. With Crew Shackleton gaing Miss Mitchell as our new Crew Leader, we thought it would be only right if we changed our crew name. After some deliberation, we came up with Crew Anoa’i, naming ourselves after the Anoa’i family.
Once we settled on our new crew name, we decided to create a presentation saying why we chose it. It took us several weeks to compile all of our information. Everyone worked really hard to create this, so we would appreciate it if you could take a look.
Here it is, the reason why we chose to be called … Crew Anoa’i.
The Anoa’i family is a family of professional wrestlers originating from American Samoa. Here are a few of the family, you may recognise a couple.
How we connect to the Anoa’i family:
The Anoa’i family are famous for their professional wrestling work. Family members including Rosey, Rikishi, Jamal, Ekmo, Umaga, Yokozuna, Roman Reigns, The Usos, Nia Jax, Tamina Snuka, Afa Anoa’i, Sika Anoa’i, The Wild Samoans, Peter Maivia and The Rock have all contributed to the profession, winning multiple championships and earning themselves the title ‘Wrestling’s greatest family’. The Anoa’i family is from American-Samoan descent, their wrestling family tree goes back decades. The traditional culture of Samoa is a communal way of life, most activities are done together. The family is viewed as an integral part of a person’s life, where the elders in the family are greatly respected and hold the highest status.
So in Somoan tradition, we have taken on the values of a tribe life, with our crew members representing the tribe and Miss Mitchell representing our Chief. We pledge to show determination and face every challenge head on whilst working together to overcome them as a tribe.
The Anoa’i Family Achievements:
- The Anoa’i Family is the very first to have four generations of wrestlers competing in WWE.
- 21 members of the Anoa’i family became wrestlers. 14 wrestlers with direct blood ties to the Anoa’i family have wrestled for the WWE.
- 5 members of the family are competing in WWE currently.
- They have 14 multi-generations of tag teams.
- They have won 21 tag team championships in total.
As we have chosen ‘Make-A-Wish’ as our crew charity, we thought it would be interesting to share:
Over the years, the Anoa’i family has raised a lot of money for charities including Make-A-Wish. In 2017, Roman Reigns (Joe Anoa’i) raised $12,000 by helping a restaurant named Jimmy’s Famous Seafood. Joe promised to donate $1 for every like their tweet received. He retweeted the message to all his followers. It went from an expected 3-4 thousand dollars to over $12,000 in a short space of time. He continues to work closely with the charity. The Rock, The Usos and Nia Jax have also worked closely with Make-A-Wish, granting children’s wishes all over the world.
Reasons why we believe we should be called Crew Anoa’i:
- I believe we should be called Crew Anoa’i because we are a tribe, we have each others’ back. (Nikodem)
- I believe we should be called Crew Anoa’i because we believe crew is like a family. We strive for the greater in each other, this means holding one another to account but also helping each other when a crew member needs support. (April)
- I believe we should be called Crew Anoa’i because they are a massively inspirational family and power through all challenges that are put in front of them. (Jacob)
- I believe we should be called Crew Anoa’i because we protect each other like a tribe. (Lucie)
- I believe we should be called Crew Anoa’i because the Anoa’i family are an inspiration to us, they have supported a lot of charities. We wish to do the same and follow in their footsteps. (James)
- I believe we should be called Crew Anoa’i because I think our crew represents the Anoa’i family, we work together as a team and help each other out. (Zach H)
Our Crew Quote:
“Success isn’t always about ‘greatness’, it’s about consistency. Consistent hard work gains success, greatness will come.”
We chose this quote because it really resonates with us as a crew. We have found in the past that some of our crew have struggled with finding success, but once they have consistently worked hard on a certain task, they succeeded and achieved greatness.
Thank you for taking a few minutes out of your day to read this!